Monday, November 9, 2009

Just had 6D's tech class this morning-they are the first in the class rotation to begin working on the next Ensworth-San Jorge project; podcasting in groups on a science topic. While discussing possible science topics, I shared with Gerardo that our students are currently studying bateria and viruses, and he shared that his students are studying motion. After some back-and-forth discussion about which topic we should use, Gerardo suggested we both use the topic of motion of bacteria and viruses-how do they move? I thought that was great, so we decided upon that. I thought it was a cool way to join our studies together on a project. He suggested some interactive sites that show movement in bacteria and viruses (which was helpful to me as I am a bit out of my element in the subject of science), and I expanded upon them by adding some 6th-grade appropriate research sites in that area to my delicious page. We were hoping to be able to Skype today, but the daylight savings time that the US follows threw us off, so we only had about 5 minutes of common time. In the meantime, we watched the interactive links on the home page of our wiki , got our science textbooks, divided into groups of about 4, visited the research sites, began typing our podcast scripts, and created our podcast files. We connected quickly with our San Jorge partners at the end of our class period, and I chose a student volunteer to talk about what we've been studying in science, and one of their students did the same. It was a cute interaction between the students (see below)  When we are finished with the podcasts, we will post them to the wiki, view each other's podcasts, and then have an online discussion about them. I think the students will really enjoy this next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment